Period stopped. Had pregnancy test with negative result. Taken meprate. How to cure this?

my wife this month period stopped. I have pregnancy test. result is negative. please help us for start period immediately. She is now taken tab meprate 2 wise a day. Please suggest.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

From what you are saying, it sounds like you wife is late for her period, but her pregnancy test is negative. The Meprate is a progesterone. If she takes this for a period of 10 days, and then stops, she will get her period. The reason that she did not get her period is likely related to not ovulating. We commonly use progesterone to induce a period, but it must be taken for at least 5 days (usually 10) to prepare the lining for shedding.

If she has thyroid disease, her thyroid levels probably need to be checked as dysfunction of the thyroid gland will lead to non-ovulatory cycles.

I hope that this helps and good luck!