Period pain excessive in lower abdomen. Normal? Suggest pain relievers? Safe to take every month?

Hi, I am having lot of pain in my lower abdomen during my periods, I want to inquire the following 1.) Is it normal to experience lot of pain on 1st day of the periods? 2.) Which pain killer shall I take? 3.) Is it safe to take pain killer every month ? 4.) Does taking pain killers during periods have any side effects while getting pregnant?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Having painful period is very common problem especially in young female. It is frequently associated with nausea and vomiting. It is chronic condition and occurs because of production of prostaglandins around periods in body. Its severity decreases with age.

I understand it is must be very distressing if the pain is severe. You may use analgesics (like tablet meftal) at the start of pain (sooner is better) to get relief from the pain. This drug can be obtained with a prescription from your doctor. Analgesics are safe and can be taken at start of period and it will not affect future pregnancy.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.