Period is 2 weeks overdue and have breast tenderness. Pregnant?

Mar 2016

my period is 2 weeks overdue and have breast tenderness for about 3 days, could I be pregnant?
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

In this circumstances, you should undergo one home pregnancy test initially and blood test for beta-HCG to confirm pregnancy at the earliest.

In exclusion of pregnancy, reasons for late period (2 weeks) are stress/ anxiety, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, overweight, ovarian cyst, extreme weight loss, thyroid disturbance, high prolactin level etc. Breast tenderness is due to effect of progesterone hormone.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide for relevant investigations (like pelvic ultrasound scan, hormone assay etc) after a physical examination.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs.
3) Try to avoid stress by yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Drink plenty of water and eat more green vegetables & fresh fruits.
5) Wear tight breast support to get relief from breast discomfort.
6) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Maintain personal hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.