Period ended abruptly with light bleeding. Headache, diarrhoea, loss of appetite. pregnancy test came negative. Could I still be pregnant?

We have been trying for a baby. Around the time of my period I had one day of brown blood which was very lite and the next day it was more pink and brown but very lite (1-2 pads total). It abruptly ended. Since then I have had constant diarrhea, upset stomach, headaches, stuffy nose, and loss of appetite (stomach problems main issue). I took several pregnancy tests which were all negative. It has been 2 weeks since the bleeding. Could it be pregnancy even with the negative tests?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

If your menstrual cycles are regular- a 28-35 days, then it is unlikely that with so many negative pregnancy tests, you could be pregnant. It is sometimes normal to have a cycle disturbance with some breakthrough bleeding. This can especially happen when there is a weight disturbance, stress, infection or when on certain medications. An implantation bleeding can happen at around the time of the expected period; it is usually a fresh bleed, may last for a couple of hours to a couple of days.

Your symptoms are not specific for an early pregnancy. You could as well be suffering from an intestinal infection and a head cold.

In the absence of pregnancy,menstrual disturbances may be caused by hormonal imbalances, thyroid disorders, stress, polycystic ovaries, infections, medications,weight disturbances and hyperprolactinemia states.

In the present scenario, the best option to take would be to have a blood test for pregnancy-serum beta-hCG measurement, and a trans-vaginal sonogram which will be confirmatory. You should see a specialist for an evaluation. If you are overweight, please try to do some regular daily exercise and maintain a healthy BMI. Eat lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and have plenty of fluids.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.