Period delayed. Want to avoid pregnancy. Is regestrone or femilon safe to be taken at this time?

May 2013
I have got married for 3 years now. My mensuration cycle date was 18th of every month. I have missed by period by one week this time.. We have not yet planned for a baby and my husband is very sure to be safe.
My tummy is swollen throwing indication that menses can start at any given time , however still waiting.
Can you please suggest me next action to be taken against the same. and also what are the reasons of getting the menses delayed and what can be done to get the same on time on a regular basis.
Is regestrone or femilon medicines are safe to be taken during this time?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 23 minutes later
As you had regular cycles previously and missed the period for first time, better to go for pregnancy test once.
Because all contraceptive measures are having some amount of failure rate.
If the test comes positive, you consult gynecologist and discuss about termination depending on your gestational age.
If test comes negative, you consult gynecologist and get examined to find out the possible cause for your problem.
The possible causes for delayed periods:
-Hormonal imbalance like in poly cystic ovary disease, thyroid abnormalities etc.
-Stress and strain, weight changes, recent illness, medications affecting hypothalamo-pituitary-ovarian axis etc.
After getting investigated to find out the possible cause, you can take treatment accordingly.
If the cause is diagnosed as hormonal imbalance, you can go for regesterone etc. with your doctor advice.
By maintaining ideal weight to height, healthy dietary habits, by avoiding stress and strain etc. regularization of the periods is possible.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Period delayed. Want to avoid pregnancy. Is regestrone or femilon safe to be taken at this time? 3 minutes later
How is Femilon as a medicine for the same?
By getting my monthly menses delayed by a week or so is expected to become an challenge to concieve?
how can i check if i am going to have a healthy pregnancy or will be able to concieve?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later
Regesterone contains progesterone only, whereas femilon is combined pill.
Depending on the cause for delayed periods, the type of pill or any other treatment should choosed.
As your period got delayed for the first time, if the cause get identified and treated early that may not cause any problem in future.
You can go for ultrasound once as primary workup, if that shows normal findings no need to worry.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.