Period delayed, Have headaches and frequent urination. Had unprotected sex without ejaculation. What is wrong?

Question
my period is ten days late, quite often it is 3-4 days late but never this late. i have been pregnant before but didn't notice symptoms until 6 weeks in. i urinate very often though i drink 2-3 litres of water daily. I do get headaches often but i always have been prone to headaches. I could sleep all day if i was able to! and i do have mood swings, i have noticed slight cramping but nothing too bad! i have had unprotected sex in the last month however there was no ejaculation present.
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

Since you had unprotected sex, chances of pregnancy are there.

First possibility for any missed periods is pregnancy and you have got a negative urine for pregnancy test. Pregnancy test kits are basically qualitative kind of test which just tests presence of hCG hormone in the urine of pregnant woman because this hormone is only produced during pregnancy among women.

But the level of HCG should be enough to show positive on urine for pregnancy test. While doing a urine for pregnancy test by urine for pregnancy kit, there should be appearance of two lines which corresponds to a positive pregnancy test. You have to add two drops of the first morning sample of urine taken in a sterile container to the kit and wait for a few minutes. If there is appearance of two vertical lines ( on T and C which are test and control) then it shows positive pregnancy test but if there is only one vertical line over C ( control) then it means negative pregnancy test.

You can also go for blood test which will give you more confirmatory diagnosis of presence of hCG and pregnancy. Ultrasonography is the best confirmatory test for a viable pregnancy and if your missed periods are due to pregnancy, it should come positive on an ultrasound scan.

So my advice is to get a urine pregnancy test, serum HCG test and if required, an ultrasound done from a gynecologist and if pregnancy is completely ruled out then we need to investigate for other causes of missed periods.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.