Period delayed. Had taken contraceptive after intercourse. Pregnancy test came negative. Could I be pregnant still?

Question
I had intercourse on the 4th of march. I took an oral.contraceptive within the first 3 hours. A week later I underwent vaginal bleeding for around 3 days and had to use trapic for controlling the bleed.

My due date for my period was march 23 and I have still not got it yet, April 7. I have taken four home pregnancy tests till date. All of them have been negative .

Please advice. I cannot afford to be pregnant right now.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
Since you took an emergency pill within 3 hours of unprotected intercourse, you are 98-99% protected against pregnancy. Now the irregular bleeding that you had a week later was the withdrawal bleeding which happens due to the high dose of hormones in the emergency contraceptive pill.
This is a common side effect of such pills. Your routine period can also be delayed by a few days. Do not worry. This is not indicative of pregnancy.
Also all your pregnancy tests have come negative. So, please wait for 10-15 days more for your periods to start normally. Such minor menstrual irregularities are common with these pills.
But I would advise you to use a surer way contraception like oral pills as emergency pills if taken repeatedly can cause you menstrual irregularities.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Period delayed. Had taken contraceptive after intercourse. Pregnancy test came negative. Could I be pregnant still? 16 minutes later
Around when can I expect my next period?
Also do I need to still check for pregnancy after waiting 15 days from now.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Your period is likely to start by 15th April. In case there is no period till 20th April then you can get serum beta HCG levels evaluated which is a more sensitive test to detect pregnancy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Period delayed. Had taken contraceptive after intercourse. Pregnancy test came negative. Could I be pregnant still? 8 minutes later
Is the serum beta hcg levels test possible at any diagnostics center or do I need to visit an ob/gyn and get a prescription?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
You will need a prescription for the test. It is best to wait for a few days and see if your period starts spontaneously as the chances of pregnancy in your case are less than 1%.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards

Follow-up: Period delayed. Had taken contraceptive after intercourse. Pregnancy test came negative. Could I be pregnant still? 20 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
Warm regards