Perineum is swollen and tender to touch after intercourse. What are the risks?

My perineum is swollen and tender to the touch. I have no unusual discharge, no pain when urinating and my bowels are normal. My boyfriend of over a year and I did just have sex on Sunday but it was nothing out of the ordinary for us. There is a very small purple spot on the edge of the anal opening but that is also not uncomfortable. There is no itching feeling coming from my anus. What could be the cause of this?
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the perineum is swollen in a symmetric fashion. The only thing that predates this episode of swelling is the intercourse on Sunday. My first thought is the potential for herpes virus to be a factor. It is entirely possible that your boyfriend was a carrier for over a year, and you have only now contracted an infection. While this is not what anyone wants to hear, it is worth considering.

The next thought is that you may have developed a hypersensitivity reaction to condoms (if used) but I will assume not since you are on the Nuvaring.

Third, this could very well be from intercourse itself, with any poor lubrication causing a mild form of trauma which would lead to bilateral swelling.

Finally, this might represent a vulvar yeast infection. It would be one the more common causes, and should not be ruled out, even in the absence of any itching or discharge.

What this comes down to, though, is to have an OB/GYN take a look at it. I would avoid intercourse until it either goes away or someone takes a look at it. You can always soak your bottom in a tub, and if it helped, apply some topical hydrocortisone cream to the outside.

I wish I could help you more. Please let me know if you have more questions. Otherwise, please take a moment to leave feedback.