Pericardial cyst removed, low fever, cough, CT, blood count, X-Ray, esophagus, on voltaren, Ibuprofen

Cardiologist, Interventional
i am 40 years old and I had pericardial cyst removed by VAT suregry 22 days ago.
I have low fever almost every day reaching up to 37.3. In the mornings most of the time there is no fever.
I had CT and blood count and done after 5 days of the surgery. The second day I also had X XXXXXXX done to evaluate my esophagus. The Doctor said it was ok I was prescribed voltarine which helped with pain immediately and to an extent with fever. But the fever still persists which reches up to 37.3 in the evenings and there is litlle pain as well.
Also Ibuprofine helps with fever.
I also cough. Any advice?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Congenital Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 5 hours later
Thank you for your query.

I need some clarifications from you.
1) Has the fever been present ever since the surgery. Was it present before the surgery also? Or, did the fever start a few days after the surgery? If so, which day?
2)what were the reports of the CT scan, Chest x-ray? What are the blood counts?
3) If ESR was done, what is the value?
4) Is it possible to repeat the blood counts, ESR and Chest x-ray?

Your fever is of low-grade and it is common to have some fever due to inflammation following thoracic surgery. Cough is also common because of irritation of the airways/nerves of the thorax, especially nerves to the larynx.

It is important to rule out any infection. If infection is ruled out, the fever and cough should subside with paracetamol, ibuprofen etc and some anti-tussive cough syrup. Once the healing takes place (may take 4 -6 weeks), you should feel better. It is also important to do some chest physiotherapy and clear the airways of secretions. Due to pain, your cough may be weak.

I hope I have been of help. If you could answer the questions that I have asked, I can give you a more specific answer.
Dr RS Varma