Perianal fistula is leaking stool. Worried?

Right after a bowel movement, my perianal fistula is leaking stool. Should i be worried? Or should i leave it leak it?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be very appropriate to get a clinical evaluation from your colon or rectal surgeon Management shall differ if you have been previously diagnosed and managed, depending on the cause of the fistula, the risk factors, the drugs you are taking and any associated conditions or complications that are already known to your treating physician. Depending on the physical examination of the day, the doctor will decide on prescribing further tests or not.

Treatment options shall depend on the type of fistula, and the management technique differs. Prescription of antibiotics are the discretion of your physician, may be prophylactically , to prevent infection of nearby structures there.

Booking an appointment with your surgeon - proctologist is important and I suggest you do so. Thanks and best regards as I wish you the best of health. Do not hesitate asking further questions. Thanks and best regards,

Luchuo, MD.