Peri-menopausal. Using estradiol gel and Premetrium. Having side effects. What to do?

I am 53 yr old peri-menopausal female on a regimen of estradiol gel and Premetrium . My Dr. just increased my Prometrium dose from 100 to 200 mgs because of endless spotting after my period. The spotting stopped as soon as we upped Prometrium to 200 mgs. That's the good news. Meanwhile, I am having lots of bad side effects from the higher dose, the classic ones listed - nausea, dizziness, light headed, bloating, headaches, etc. My question is this, as I have only done one round of 12 days at 200 mg, will my body, does the body, acclimate to the higher dose of this medicine/hormone and so perhaps within a few more of my cycles the side effects will lessen or go away?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Yes your body might very well adjust to the new dose. But in the setting of this endless spotting, did your doctor:
1. Perform an ultrasound?
2. Perform and endometrial biopsy?

Please let me know and I will get back to you quickly.