Peptic ulcer caused by advil and esophagus erosion. Is Tagamet as effective as nexium?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
otc Tagamet is it as affective as nexium or prilosec. I am asking this because Nexium gives me flatuance and loose bowels for about 2 hours in the AM, I am under doctors care but don't want another endoscopy
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Tagamet is H2 antagonist medicine which causes reduce in acid secretion too and it is used for esophagitis,gastritis,ulcers and gerd. It works by some other mechanism than PPI(nexium ,priloesc etc) and it is generally considered that h2 antagonists are less effective than PPIs in treatment of ulcer disease,but the effect is individual and varies from man to man. So you can try with it for few weeks and see will there be improvement.
Blaoting and loose bowels are known side effect of nexium,and if this is significant then it is better not to use it or reduce the dosage. Also, it is very important to change dietary habits and avoid food that irritates stomach mucosa. If you can follow antiacid diet then medicines might not be necessary at all.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards