Ask a Urologist   »  

Penis pain, burning urination, groin swelling, shoulder pain. Normal UTI test. Taking antibiotics. What is wrong?

Jul 2016

I need help my boyfriend is sexually active but penis hurts really bad when he urinates feels like burning fire, then he thinks he has groin swelling and now he has shoulder pain. He took a uti test and hes normal for thAt. Whats wrong with him???? He doesnt have insurance to go see a urologist he doesnt know what to do.. His doctor told him to continue taking antibiotics its his 2nd day taking it, but more and more his urinating pain is discomfort.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 40 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your boyfriend has severe pain while urinating.

He has done his routine Urine test which does not reveal UTI (fever associated with burning?
2) Does he have to strain (Give Pressure) to pass urine?
3) Do you have unprotected sex?
4) Has he done Urine culture?
5) Has he undergone test like Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen to see status of Bladder for infection? If it is not done so far do get it done now as it will provide much information as regards any pathology in Bladder, Prostate etc.

Kindly revert back with information that you have so as me to help to diagnose his problem.

Waiting for your response,
Follow-up: Penis pain, burning urination, groin swelling, shoulder pain. Normal UTI test. Taking antibiotics. What is wrong? 17 minutes later
He says all of them are No's but nimber 4 is a yes he did a culture. Should i take him to the ER? I'M scared
Also unprotected sex
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 minutes later

Thanks for feedback.

If he has a culture report, please post the report here using this site's uploader.

If he cannot afford a visit to ER, I would suggest him to visit a free/low cost clinic and get the other test - those I mentioned in my previous reply. Those test will give us a better picture of what he is suffering with.

In the meanwhile, continue to take the antibiotics along with over the counter analgesics like ibuprofen twice a day. Drink plenty of fluids.

Let me know if you need clarifications.