Penis looks slightly bloody with breaks. Is it fungus related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What would cause penis to look slightly bloody with breaks in it? Would this be related to a fungus, although none is apparent?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that you might be having balanitis, a inflammatory state of the glans penis. It can be caused by bacterial or fungal infection.
It could have occurred due to abrasion of the penis during a sexual encounter or masturbation. Since the penis is a highly vascular organ, any slight superficial injury will appear like a red or bluish "Angry" looking lesion. But this is a benign condition and heal on its own and subside on its own. Since you have a history of diabetes, the healing might be delayed.
Application of 1 % Hydrocortisone cream to the red and inflammed part of the penis might help reduce the discomfort and sensitivity.
In addition taking medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day will help in early resolution of the symptoms.
In addition development of symptoms including fever, mucopurulent discharge, burning micturition, ulceration, bleeding from the discolored areas of the penis and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin are symptoms that you should watch out for. In such a situation consulting a doctor for an examination might be helpful.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.