Ask a Urologist   »  

Penis itches and burns after masturbating with hand lotion. Partner had yeast infection and had unprotected. Related?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question

My penis itches and slightly burns after masterbating with hand lotion. On another note my wife recently had a yeast infection and we had unprotected sex. Which causal factor would most likely contribute to my condition? Should I buy a different brand of lotion? Or should I get checked for a yeast infection? Please advise!
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergy to lotion or yeast infection are possible.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

As you rightly pointed out both possibilities are there.

1.You may be allergic to the hand lotion.
2. When your wife has yeast infection, there is every possibility that you also likely to have mild or sub-clinical yeast infection over your glans penis and foreskin. When there is a mild infection your lotion might have irritated the same and produce itchy sensation.

It is better not to use the lotion for sometime and try the same after a course of treatment for yeast. Even then it produces itching then think of changing to some other preparation.
When your wife has yeast infection see to that that she had adequate treatment for a total eradication of the infection. It is also essential and safe that you also apply some Anti-fungal antibiotic cream and a systemic anti-fungal antibiotic tablet for 2-3 weeks with an abstinence during the treatment period from sex.
That will solve the problem.
So you better consult your physician and get your treatment for yeast after investigations if necessary.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan