Ask a Urologist   »  

Penis and the tip are red, semen discharge during urination, had UTI. Taken Bactrim and also on other medication

Urologist
Question
I thought I had a UTI, but they told me no bacteria in urine test. Here are the symptoms, some may not be related.

For several years now I have had a little semen discharge whenever I am constipated and have a hard bowl movement. After reading online, I assumed I had an enlarged prostate and that the discharge was from that, coupled with being obese.

Over the past month or so, I noticed a bad smell to my urine that reminded of when I helped care for my grandmother when she was old. I also would feel like I had to go to the bathroom to urinate or like I was going to pee my pants after I already went. In addition, the tip of my penis was a little tender and red, and the inside of the hole was red also.

I immediately thought I probably have UTI, so I went to the doctor. They did a quick test in the office to a urine sample and said, no bacteria, but they would send it out for a more complete analysis. Still no results. So I didn't have to wait, they gave me a prescription for Bactrim and told me to take it for 3 days. I did that and the symptoms never went away.

Help.

More info on me:
I haven't had sex in 7 months.
I take atenolol for high blood pressure
I take omeprozole for GERD
I have also been taking phentermine for 2 months to lose weight
I sometimes take an OTC called melatonin to help me sleep
I also take Valtrex occasionally for cold sores
I also take a daily multi- vitamin

Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 6 hours later
Dear,

Thank you for posting your query.

You obviously seem to be having urinary problems. Urine examination is a necessary test but not the last test. You need to get an ultrasound of the KUB (Kidney, ureters and urinary bladder) region done to rule out any obstructive causes. In addition, you need to get a digital rectal examination done on yourself to look into any pathology of the prostrate.

In addition, you are probably suffering from Balanitis at the tip of your penis and need to be treated for the same under the care of an urologist.

Overall, it seems like there is an obstructive pathology in the urinary tract. Do not worry, it is easily treatable. Please undergo the above mentioned tests, it would help in the diagnosis.

Hope my suggestions help you. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.

Wishing you an early recovery.