Pelvis ultrasound,enlarged uterus,iron deficiency anemia

Question
My abdomen and pelvis ultra sound scan report says
1. Uterus enlarged size, Measures 11.4x5.4 cms. Fundal Posterior intra mural myoma measuring 55x50 mm. Endometrium is normal in thickness 15.2 mm.
2. Gall Blader: Normal wall, Multiple Calculi in the lumen, CBD is normal
3. Liver enlarged size 15.7 cms. Normal Texture,. The intra hepatic biliary and portal radicals are normal. Portal vein is normal.
USG was done as I am having iron deficiency anemia.
Hemoglobin 10.8 g/dL
Hematocrit 33.7%
Iron, Serum 33 micrograms/dL
I will have excessive bleeding during periods losting for 5 days. I use 18-20 large pads.
My doctor suggested that due to excessive bleeding, I am becoming anemic.

Suggest me the future course of action
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

The ultrasound reports suggest that you are having an intramural myoma in your uterus which are basically intramural fibroids that are found inside the uterine wall. These are the most common type of fibroid tumor and are one of the causes of heavy bleeding during periods.

There are birth control pills. Anemia may have to be treated with iron supplementation which you are already taking. You should consult a gynecologist and get the birth control pills prescribed. Other than that, levonorgestrel intrauterine devices are also useful.

You can have iron XXXXXXX foods like liver, lean red meats, beans like kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils, iron fortified whole grains, XXXXXXX vegetables like spinach, tofu, broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, chicken, nuts, egg yolk and dry fruits.

You can have iron supplements along with these foods.

Also get the enlargement of liver evaluated from your physician whether it is enlarged as a result of bile duct stones (unlikely because CBD is normal on ultrasound) or other causes.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Pelvis ultrasound,enlarged uterus,iron deficiency anemia 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your reply. I was advised to go for surgical removal of fibroid and gal blader. Kindly advise me about the surgery. Out of surgical & non surgical methods which gives a permanent cure with lesser pain? I would like to add that I had two children ( last one during the year 1997).

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

To treat uterine fibroids, surgery can be used to remove fibroids only (myomectomy) or to remove the entire uterus (hysterectomy). But considering your age (not menopausal), it will be better to give medical treatment a try first.

If heavy bleeding and anemia continues after several months of therapy with birth control hormones and a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) then surgery can be planned.

cholecystitis (inflammation of gall bladder). For this you should consult a surgeon and get a HIDA scan done first to look at the functioning of the gall bladder.