Pelvic ultrasound shows heterogeneous echo in endometrial canal, nabothian cyst. Meaning?

I had a pelvic ultrasound today as I have had some bleeding between periods and clots during periods I am 44 years old. The ultrasound report says that the endometrial canal has a slightly heterogeneous echo but no discrete mass was demonstrated. And also a nabothian cyst with XXXXXXX debris is demonstrated this measures 8mm. What does this mean.
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
A slightly heterogenous echo in the endometrium ( the inner most lining of the uterus) means that there is an abnormality in the endometrium. This could be due to the presence of another tissue, thickening of the endometrium, etc. The causes can be multiple and in this regards, I would need some more information from you to be able to help you better, :
a. Are your periods regular?
b. When was your last period?
c. Are you receiving any medication?
d. What is your height and weight?
e. Are you sexually active? If yes, are you using any kind of contraception?
f. Is there any family history of cancer?

A nabothian cyst is a collection of secretions that arises due to the blockage of the duct of the mucus glands in the cervix. This can be left as such if there are no symptoms.
This is not something you should be worrying about.
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound shows heterogeneous echo in endometrial canal, nabothian cyst. Meaning? 14 minutes later
Yes usually regualar but this month they were a week early.
My last period was 27th August.
Only medication for high cholesterol
Height 162cm
weight 77 kilos
yes sexually active with my husband using no contraception as he's had a vasectomy.
No family history of cancer
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
I think the best way forward here is to do a MRI followed by fractional curettage of the uterine cavity. This will help us visualize the uterine cavity more closely so that we can conclusively rule out malignancy. Other reasons for such a picture could be endometriosis, adenomyosis etc.
Please see your gynaecologist for this. If these tests are normal, we could be looking at a condition called dysfunctional uterine bleeding which arises due to hormonal issues.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more concerns