Pelvic ultrasound showed uterine lining of 14mm. Should I be concerned?

Hello-should I be concerned about a uterine lining of 14mm - I had a pelvic ultrasound that indicated this. I also had a pelvic ultrasound 6 years ago and my uterine lining was 1.53 cm. I have several uterine fibroids and was 14 days into my cycle at the time of the ultrasound. I also have a simple ovarian cyst on my right ovary.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 28 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am assuming that you had the ultrasound 6 years ago and again recently related to abnormal or heavy bleeding (because of the presence of fibroids). Fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus associated with heavy, painful cycles. With regard to your question, 14mm is borderline thickened, and 15.3mm is considered thickened.

Here are the possible causes of the thickened lining:

1. It might be normal for where you were in your cycle
2. It might be related to fibroids distorting the lining
3. It can be associated with uterine polyps
4. It can be associated with something called endometrial hyperplasia, which is a pre-cancerous change of the uterine lining.

Here is what needs to happen based on the presumed abnormal bleeding and thickenend endometrial lining:

1. 1. You need an ultrasound of the uterus where they put fluid into the uterus to better assess the endometrial lining for fibroids or polyps (that would explain the thickening)
2. You need an endometrial biopsy - to rule out pre-cancerous changes
3. Then you need someone to sit down with you and discuss options for treating the problems for which you had the followup ultrasound in the first place.

I hope this helps. Please let me know - Dr. Tim
Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed uterine lining of 14mm. Should I be concerned? 26 minutes later
Thank you very much. Initially, my primary care physician during my yearly physical thought my uterus felt unusual. She is a family doctor who recommended I have an ultrasound performed. Her nurse then contacted me with the results indicating that I should have a follow-up ultrasound in 2 months. I have contacted an OB/GYN physician in our town - who also performs ultrasounds in his office. I will be following up with him.
It appears, from a previous ultrasound 6 years ago, performed at an OB/GYN clinic in the Twin Cities, that my uterine lining was thickened then. Although the doctor called me several times and said not to worry about anything on the ultrasound - she never mentioned the thickened lining and reassured me that there was nothing unusual.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 22 minutes later
Well, I can understand that response. If the ultrasound was only done because of an irregularity on exam (explained by fibroids) and NOT because of abnormal bleeding, then I might have said the same thing.

That being said, though, this is a finding that should not be ignored. While it is "incidental" to the reasons for the original ultrasound, it is still abnormal.

I agree that it is best dealt with directly by an OB/GYN. Don't let them talk you out of an endometrial biopsy. It is a very simple procedure to do and will put the whole finding to rest!

Please ask if you have additional questions - I am happy to help!!
Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed uterine lining of 14mm. Should I be concerned? 11 minutes later
Thank you, Doctor. I really appreciate your input and expertise.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 43 minutes later
It is my pleasure - if you have another question for me, feel free to direct it to me or ask for "Dr. Tim". Good luck at your visit!