Pelvic ultrasound showed two fluid collections with thick walls on ovary and uterus with irregular contour

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I have had an pelvic ultrasound which shows two fluid collections with thick walls on right ovary and my uterus has an irregular contour. the left ovary has a volume of 7cc and the right ovary has volume of 46cc. what does this mean? and should I be concerned. I can't see my gyn for 6 weeks
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 34 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Could you please attach the ultrasound report.
That would help me to guide you better.
Also, the details of previous novasure ablation alongwith your indication for the same, would be helpful.
I assume you do not menstruate right now.
Please get back with the details .
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed two fluid collections with thick walls on ovary and uterus with irregular contour 11 minutes later
I have uploaded ultrasound.
ablation was performed 3 years ago because of excessive bleeding during periods.
I do not menstruate and haven't since the ablation was performed

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Hi
I have gone through your ultrasound report.
There is presence of a complex ovarian cyst in the right ovary.
This could be due to any of the following reasons -
1. Infective.
2. Haemorrhagic.
3. Benign or malignant ovarian cyst.
4. Endometriosis , however it is least likely in your age group.
5. Other rarer causes like dermoid etc.

The only way to confirm what type of cyst it is, is to have surgical ( laparoscopic ) removal.
Normally, it is not indicated for cysts less than 5 cm, however in case of persistent complex ovarian cysts, generally surgery and biopsy is recommended.
The uterine fibroid is too small to worry about.

I would advise a consultation with a gynecologist.
Further tumor markers and other blood tests such as CA - 125 etc are also suggested.

Take care, and feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed two fluid collections with thick walls on ovary and uterus with irregular contour 6 minutes later
I am having extreme breast tenderness and occasional night flashes and extreme tiredness and pain after intercourse. DO you think this is related or it could be menopause?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
The symptoms you describe could definitely be attributed to peri menopause,
and are not corelated with the ovarian cyst.