Pelvic ultrasound showed polycystic configuration of the ovaries. Required treatment?

Thank you Doctor
I am father of XXXXXXX aged 19 years from India. On the advise of doctor I got the scanning of my daugter pelvis. the following are the comments. Kindly normal in thickness (5 mm)

advise me what they meant and further medicine required to treat if necessary

Uterus is anteverted and anteflexed. It measured 80x44x37mm . Myometrial outline and echogenisity are normal. Endomentrium is normal.

Right Ovaryy measured 36x23x20 mm (vol = 9.4 cc) and left ovary measured 29x28x14 mm (vol = 6.1cc) Both ovaries show multiple peripherally arranged sized cystic follicles with stromal prominence.

no abnormality is seen in the adnexae
no free fluid is seen in the pelvis

Impression : Polycystic configuration of the ovaries
for biochemical correlation;
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 11 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

I went through the ultrasound and thyroid report in detail.
Every thing is normal except for ovary which shows polycystic ovaries(PCO).
PCO is very common finding on ultrasound. Infact, it is seen in 25% of normal girls as well without any pathology.
So there is nothing much to worry as on now.

Before ruling out pathology can you provide more information?
1. Is your daughter overweight?
2. Does she have normal menstrual periods?
3. Does she have acne(pimples)?Excess hair on the body?
4. What was the reason for her to get a USG scan?

Waiting for the reply,
Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed polycystic configuration of the ovaries. Required treatment? 5 hours later
Dear Doctor
Thank you for the reply
I am providing answers to the quires Doctor kindly provide reply

1. Yes She has over weight - measuring 80 kgs. with height of 5' 5"

2. No. some times it is irrgular

3. She is getting pimples now but she is not having excess hair on the body

4. Doctor advised to go for USG Scan when consulted for irregular menstrual periods

Kindly provide answers and followup medication if necessary.

Thank you doctor
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 51 minutes later

Thanks for clarifications.

Symptoms of menstrual irregularity, excess weight and USG finding of Polycystic ovaries suggests she has polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS). But nothing to worry, as it responds very well to medications.

PCOS is a condition of insulin resistance. This results in menstrual irregularity and acne.

In order to regularize her cycles, she has to start taking hormones in the form of OC pills(Krimson-35) for 3 months. After 3 months she can stop and observe.

Since she is overweight, reduction of weight plays a major role in regularizing her menstrual cycle. You need to support and encourage her to loose weight. Parents role is very important.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for further clarifications.
You can as well write to me directly to this link: WWW.WWWW.WW
Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed polycystic configuration of the ovaries. Required treatment? 47 minutes later
Dear Doctor
Thanks a lot for the answers. I will forward the same to my daughter who is no studying her Law at National Law university visakhapatnam
Thank you Doctor once again
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Its my pleasure to help you XXXXXXX.
My regards to your daughter and wish her early recovery.

Dr Nilofer