Pelvic ultrasound showed hypoechoic mass in the fundus of the uterus. Chances of having cancerous tumor?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I had pelvic ultrasound last XXXXXXX 14, 2013 bec. last Dec. 2012 my belly started to grow fast and my LLQ abdomen is hurting on and off. I had blood test for pregnacy. Result was negative. Now the impression for my pelvic ultrasound as follows : there is a 4.5 cm. X 3.8 cm X 3.9 cm.hypoechoic mass in the fundus of the uterus , likely UTERINE LEIOMYOMA. THERE IS 4.9 cm. x 4.7 cm. x 5.3 cm. HYPOECHOIC MASS IN THE RIGHT PARAadnexal region, adjacent to the right ovary. Possibilities include neoplasm or lesion from the right ovary or exophytic uterine leiomyoma. My question is ....It might be possible that i have a cancerous tumor ? by the way my MOM'S SISTER DIED WHEN she was only 30 years old due to ovarian cancer. My sister also have breast cancer ... please! I really want an answer in order to prepare myself . Thank you very much !!!
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, you can have a cancer.
Your moms ovarian cancer in so early age and your sister breast cancer makes you and your sister very suspicious for genetic breast-ovarian cancer. This is caused by BRCA1/BRCA2 genes mutation. You should have been tested for this mutation as well as your sister who can have also another breast cancer or ovarian cancer.
You should have abdominal and pelvic CT performed, CA125 blood level and most likely laparoscopy to have samples taken from this tumor.
Please do not wait anymore. You need quick diagnostics and treatment as you are young person.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pelvic ultrasound showed hypoechoic mass in the fundus of the uterus. Chances of having cancerous tumor? 39 hours later
Hi ! Thank you very much for the reply. I had transvaginal ultrasound today , I don't have the results yet. I heard from one of the doctors that I need hysterectomy . And one of my nurse friend said that better remove also my ovaries and fallopian tubes. In this health situation , do I really need this surgery , removal of my uterus , ovaries and fallopian tubes ?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Hello!

If you have BRCA1/BRCA2 mutation, ovaries and fallopian tubes along with uterine removal should be considered. But, as this is very serious decision, you should be diagnosed for this mutation. Genetic tests should be performed.
For sure you need to have uterine leiomyoma removed (probably this is the reason why the doctor said about hysterectomy) and diagnosed ovaries possible changes with CT.
So here is what should be done:
- BRCA1/BRCA2 mutation test
- CA125 blood level
- pelvis CT
And depending of this results proper decision should be made. If genetic tests will be positive, you should have hysterectomy and ovarians removal. If there is no mutation, and CA125 level increased and or CT visible tumor in ovaries, laparoscopy with samples collection from ovaries should be done.

Regards.