Pelvic ultrasound showed heterogeneous endometrium, no myometrial or adnexal mass. Meaning?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi had a pelvic ultrasound today, the endometrium ....heterogeneous measuring 5mm two cysts are noted measuring
3mm and 4mm. The conclusion Heterogeneous endometrium. No myometrial or adnexal mass is present. Could you ease my mind about these findings. Thankyou.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
As you know it is fact that Tamoxifan increases risk of endometrial changes. Thats why this ultrasound check ups are recommended. Most of these changes are benign(polyps and endometrial hyperplasia). But in 3-4 % of cases endometrial carcinoma develops.
But you shouldnt be concerned because heterogeneous endometrium is usual finding in women trated by Tamoxifan, also 5mm thickness is not considered as something significant. More than 9-10 mm is problematic.
The only way to be sure is this malignant is to do biopsy or curettage,but I dont think this is necessary at all.
Those 2 cysts are minor, it shouldnt concern you niether. It is also usual finding and can cause symptoms only when larger than 4-5 cm or if ruptured or torsioned. All you should do is frequent ultrasound check ups to evaluate dynamic of changes and thats it.
WIsh you good health.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help