Pelvic scan showing fluid in the endometrium. Postmenopausal and having a grey discharge. Should I be concerned?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Recently I had a pelvic scan which mentioned that I had "fluid in the endometrium". Is this of any concern? I am postmenopausal (3 yrs since last period) and have been having a grey discharge, no bleeding.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Endometrial collection should be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Yes,fluid in the endometrium should be investigated,especially in the post-menopausal women.Endometrial collection usually occurs when there is cervical canal occluded.
Endometrial thickness of more than 5 mm.(not mentioned in your medical history) is an indication for endometrial biopsy.
Grey discharge also significant and may be related to the fluid in the endometrium.
Good luck
Follow-up: Pelvic scan showing fluid in the endometrium. Postmenopausal and having a grey discharge. Should I be concerned? 46 minutes later
Thank you - that is helpful to know.
I had a hysteroscopy, D&C done 18 months ago (it was to investigate source of LRQ pain) and as uterus was found to be adhered to abdo wall they also did extensive adhesiolysis. Biopsies were NAD. Some pain relief after, but now re-occurring.

Question is: do you think the hysteroscopy may have actually caused the possible occlusion of the cervical canal (if that turns out to be the cause)?

Sorry, I don't know endometrial thickness but will find out from my GP on Monday.
They apparently found large thickening of the bowel as well, hopefully that's a different matter, and not all part of the same problems.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is hysteroscopy the cause?

Detailed Answer:

Hysteroscopy might be the cause of occlusion, however I cannot be sure. Probably this hysteroscopy might have caused ?infection (endometritis) causing endometrial collection and grey discharge.
It would be worthwhile to go back to your treating doctor.

With warm regards