Pelvic pain. CT showed pelviectasis and calcification. No kidney stones. Colonoscopy showed diverticulosis, Further evaluation needed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a CT Abdoem and Pelvis because of lower left pelvic pain continuing for months. I had a colonoscopy that only revealed mild diverticulosis. The CT found mild pelviectasis in the right and left kidneys and a mildly distended bladder with a right kidney slighlty horizontal in position with a questionable one 1mm calcification in the left mid kidney versus artifact. No kidney stones or renal calcifications or distal ureter sctones. There are left intrapelvic phleboliths. Dr. said to follow up with urologist, but did not explain much more than that. Is further cost necessary for a specialist, or are any of these findings something to be concerned about for further evaluation? The pain is relatively mild but I don't want to overlook underlying symptoms if there are any. If so, what kind of tests would be recommended so I can do further research.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Mild pelviectasis in both the kidneys indicates mildly dilated renal drainage system which can happen due to chronic renal infections or urinary infections or renal calculi.

Renal calculi have been ruled out. Going for renal function tests and a routine urine examination will help in detecting any pathology. The changes seen on your CT might be just a normal variation and are not necessarily indicative of a disease process.

If your renal functions come normal and there is no urinary infection then you can avoid your visit to the urologist.

The pain in the lower abdomen might be due to diverticulosis which needs further treatment by a gastroenterologist.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.