Pelvic CT scan revealed adrenal tumours. Having dehydration type symptoms. Surgery required?

In August I had an abdominal/pelvic CT scan. I’ve recently been getting awakened at night with strong thirst/ symptoms of dehydration having to drink/eat something. A recent blood test said my sugar levels are normal. The CT scan revealed 2 adrenal tumors (~ 1 cm @) on my left adrenal gland. i am seeing an Endocrinologist this week for the first time regarding the adenoma adrenal tumors. One tumor is on the adrenal cortex the other is in the adrenal medulla. What are my surgical options at this point? Do most people leave them in and just watch them? Is this a very XXXXXXX surgery (relative to other surgeries?) Remember I am being awakened at night and it is very bothersome. Thanks
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adrenal lumps are mostly benign

Detailed Answer:

when a lump in the adrenal gland is detected incidentally as in your instance, an endocrinologist typically orders the following tests in addition to a detailed history and physical examination:

plasma fractionated metanephrines
midnight salivary cortisol
plasma renin activity
plasma aldosterone concentrations

24 hour urine collection for fractionated catecholamines and metanephrines

these tests are used to determine if the adrenal lump is making any hormones or not. treatment options then depend on the hormone being secreted in excess. if it is not making any hormone in then only monitoring with periodic CT scans may be the only thing necessary with annual labs to make sure the hormones are still within normal limits.

the symptoms you are reporting could potentially be from hormone overproduction. however it may be unrelated too. the only way to know for sure is through the above tests
for more information please read