Peeling skin on face, yellow discharge, sensitive to touch. Applied cold sore ointment. What do I do?

Hello :) I have a patch of skin on my face that has started peeling off and now has a yellowish leakage coming out of it. seems as I its just the top layer o skin and can be very sore/ sensitive to touch. Has been getting bigger for the past 7 days an I very concerning to me:(.. have been trying cold sore ointment as I thought maybe that's what it was bu now I am unsure?.. I've never had a cold sore so do not know if this is what it is? Please help!! what do I do?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later

I will be glad to be of assistance.

From your description, it seems that you have got a bacterial infection of the skin secondary to either a cold sore or a patch of eczema.

I would recommend that you apply neosporin cream over it twice a day for a week.

If that doesn't help then you may need a short course of an oral antibiotic that would require a prescription.

It would clear up with the treatment.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.