Ask a Dentist   »  

Pea-sized lump inside mouth under lip, movable. Is this just a cyst?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I noticed a 1/2 of a pea sized lump that is inside my mouth located just under my lip. It seems to move around. Is this just a cyst? . Did not have it this morning but realized that I had it when I got off the plane
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From your description it seems that you are having a benign skin growth or a cyst under your lip. Most of the times such swellings disappear on their own without any treatment. In case the swelling is red, painful or is gradually increasing in size then you need to get it examined from your dentist. Oral antibiotics, pain killers, warm saline gargles will help you.
In case the cyst is infected, surgical removal might be needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pea-sized lump inside mouth under lip, movable. Is this just a cyst? 12 hours later
Thanks Dr.

One thing that I did not mention is that "the cyst" when touched by my finger, feels as if it moves/slides around pretty easily. As for your response- thanks and I appreciate the piece of mind. How long do these types of things take to diminish in size / go away?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The cysts are usually movable under the skin. Such swellings may take upto 8-10 weeks to disappear. You can self monitor the swelling for any pain, ulcer or discharge in which case removal might be needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.