Pea sized lump in the neck

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi i have found a lump in my neck about the size of a pea
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

A small pea size lump in the neck is most likely to be a swollen lymph node. The other possibilities are a sebaceous cyst or lipoma, etc.

Usually such a small size lymph node swelling is due to some infection in the head and neck area.

You need to self monitor the swelling for any increase in size, redness, pain, change in consistency from soft to hard, its fixation to the deeper structures, associated fever, any discharge, etc.

If any of the detrimental changes appear then it needs to be examined by your physician for proper diagnosis.

For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.

FNAB is aspiration of the material of the lump which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as most likely this lump is due to a swollen lymph node or a benign growth like a lipoma.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.