Pea sized hard lump on vaginal wall after a delivery. What is it?

Have a pea sized hard lump on vaginal wall to right hand side. Gave birth about three months ago.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what you are experiencing.

The most likely cause of the symptom what you're experiencing is benign problem. What you have is most likely a Bartholin's cyst. This is something which develops in one of the small glands inside the vagina. It can sometimes range from a very tiny area of swelling to a very large more painful degree of swelling. Most of these will resolve spontaneously without any intervention.

In some cases a surgeon may need to drain the system in cases where a patient has a lot of discomfort. Right now for you I would recommend that you do not you retake the area. I wouldn't avoid pinching or squeezing the area. I would recommend that for the next one or two weeks that you do daily warm soaks in a bathtub. I would take of these warm soaks for 15 or 20 minutes per day.

Usually in about 7 to 10 days the area of swelling will slowly resolved. If the area of swelling expands in size or becomes painful or unbearable you should bring it to the attention of your doctor who can perform a thorough examination and consultation.

I want to reassure you again that this is most likely not a worrisome issue and it will be temporary. I think you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them. Otherwise please accept my response.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Pea sized hard lump on vaginal wall after a delivery. What is it? 7 hours later
Thank you, I though these cyst were outside the vagina. It is about ha
F way the vaginal passage on the right side .
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello again and thank you for the follow up question.

You are correct that the cysts which we have discussed are generally near the exit of the vagina but sometimes there can be some degree of anatomical variation in which the system may be more XXXXXXX inside.

Again right now I would just do conservative measures including warm soaks to the affected area without much manipulation or pressing on the tissue. If the area persists then I would say it would be a good idea for you to make an appointment with your doctor in about 6 to 8 weeks for a full clinical assessment and examination. There is simply no substitute for a clinical examination in something like this if it does happen to persist. I am optimistic however that it will slowly resolve on its own.

I thank you again for submitting your question. It has been a pleasure to discuss your concern. If you have any additional issues I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga