Patient of renal stones. History of treated genitio urinary Koch. Done Ct scan. Opinion?

Nephrologist
Question
I am a patient of regular renal stones n gravel . History of treated genitio urinary Koch. Seminal vesicles excised.ct scan few days ago shows suspicious 5 mm hypodense focus on lower pole right kidney. Earlier ct 2 years ago had not shown this.

Would req yr opinion. Thanks...XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Your history has lot of medical and surgical issues but as I understand the present concern is about a hypo dense lesion at lower pole of right kidney.

Hypo dense lesions can be simple cyst, mass lesions, infections, tumors. If kidney functions are ok you should go for CT scan abdomen with i/v contrast. This will help differentiate a tumor from a cyst. An ultrasound may also help in categorizing the lesions. You can also investigate with urine for malignant cells and urine routine and culture to detect any abnormality.

All reports should be discussed together to plan the next step.

Benign lesions can be left alone. Malignant lesions need operative intervention.

You should follow advice of your nephrologist .

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions and inform any other investigation reports.

Follow-up: Patient of renal stones. History of treated genitio urinary Koch. Done Ct scan. Opinion? 2 hours later
Hi doc,

Thanks...this was a ct with Iv contrast that indicated the 5 mm cyst. Was done since I am getting recurring pain on rt abdomen colic type of pain n spasms

I Will do the ultrasound too n kidney function test which has been normal till date.urine routine n culture last week was fine.

Yes will follow my nephro...he is excellent n conservative not a surgery loving types !!!

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

If it was a contrast CT and it has commented as a simple cyst, then there is no reason of concern since it is a benign condition and does not need any particular treatment.

bye

Follow-up: Patient of renal stones. History of treated genitio urinary Koch. Done Ct scan. Opinion? 29 minutes later
Hi doc,

Yes it was a contrast ct scan.

Thanks for yr opinion n time

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 19 hours later
Thanks for the feedback. If you have no more questions, please close this discussion.