Patchy circles under the chin with hair loss. Fungal infection? Will hair grow back?

I'm 28 years old , my beard become patchy circle under my chin and the hair does not grow , but some grey hair come out , my Doctor told me its a fungal infection and prescribe me terbinafine for 90 days and I have been taking it for more than 70 days but there is no improvment . It makes me so worry , I'm a healthy and i doregular exercise ,we never had this problem in my family , could please tell me how long does it take for the hair to regrow again , do you recommend me to keep taking terbinafine ?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 4 hours later
Going by your history , it seems that you are suffering from alopecia areata.
In this disease there is a patchy hairloss and the new hair whcih comes from the affected area are grey.

New areas can come up with old areas showing new growth of grey hair.
This is an auto immune disease and a short course of pulse steroid under guidence from a dermatologist alongwith topical medication will definately help.

I am afraid that the condition cant be a fungal infection and terbnafine wont help.

Dr.Rohit Batra