Patches of yellowish scales on scalp, scaling & redness on face. Had seborrheic dermatitis. Using nizoral & neutrogena shampoo. Suggestion to control this condition?

I had a bad case of seborrheic dermatitis. I continue to get patches of yellowish scales all over my scalp. Right now I shower 2x a week with nizoral shampoo then shampoo with a netrogena clean shampoo afterwards. I only use about a dime sized amount of the nizoral. I am a male with shoulder length hair. Am I using enough nizoral shampoo? In addition I work out about an hour a day. Please provide tips and suggestions to help control my condition so I do not continue to develop these yellowish scales. I also have scaling and redness on my face.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As you may already know, Seb Derm is a chronic skin condition with remitting and relapsing course.

Skin and scalp care is very important.

What you are doing in correct, just needs a little fine tuning.

It is always recommended to wash your scalp first with a normal shampoo(like neutrogena) and then apply a medicated lotion/shampoo..this is done so that the medicine gets a direct access to the scalp as the dirt is already washed off by the normal shampoo.

Nizoral may make your hair look dry and fizzy. You may use a conditioner afterwards or you may use Triatop shampoo (nizoral + conditioners). Twice a week is OK. and the amount you are using is reasonable too as you just have to apply it on the scalp. Hair length doesnt really matter.

If this is not helping you as much as you would like, then you may upgrade and use a shampoo containing a little coal-tar along with ketoconazole.

This really helps in resistant cases.

You may also use an antifungal lotion (clotrimazole) once a week overnight application.

The same lotion may be used for facial redness as well.

Some tips..Do not use hair oil, massages, spas, chemicals, steams etc.

I hope I have answered your question.

I shall be available for any further questions, should you have them.

Thanks and regards.