Ask a Urologist   »  

Patches of hard, white skin under foreskin. No pain, itching. Wondering about scar tissue or balanitis

I have several patches of hard white skin under my foreskin. They have been there for years, and seem to have developed after the skin there became sore when I was a teenager. Recently, however, I've noticed other patches of discoloured white skin appear, including some which can be seen without the foreskin being pulled back. There is no pain, although occassionally it feels itchy under my foreskin. I haven't been to see the doctor; he will probably question why I didn't see him years ago. I have tried to search the internet for my symptoms, but have not found anything that closely matches. I wonder if it is a sort of scar tissue that has developed because the area was once sore, but this does not explain why the other patches have appeared. I have read about balanitis, but there is nothing visibly wrong with the glans and I am not having any difficulty with pulling the foreskin back. I know it is not an STD, as I have never been in a sexual relationship. Any advice you could give would be great. Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

I have seen your photographs.

According to your description, the first thing that comes to my mind is Lichen sclerosus.
It is a disorder of collagen tissue in which hard plaques of skin develop on the glans penis and prepuce.
It is associated with itching and whitish discolouration of the skin.It is treatable with topical corticosteroid ointments and tacrolimus. However, there can be other conditions which may present in similar way.
A physical examination of the skin lesions and skin biopsy may be necessary for confirmation of diagnosis.

A visit to dermatologist will help in establishing final diagnosis and treatment .

Hope I've answered your query. I will be available for follow up.

Dr Sudarshan