Patch of white heads below knee cap. Wear a patellar stabilizing brace for football. What could it be?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have a patch of white heads about a 1/2 square inch below my knee cap. They don't ooze. I also where a patellar stabilizing brace for football. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks,
XXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

You might have developed folliculitis.
These are superficial bacterial infections and are usually painless.

Treatment is with topical antibiotics like mupirocine ointment.

However it will be better if you can upload a photograph of the lesions.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis and I can suggest you the best possible line of treatment.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

Wishing you a good health.
Thank you

Follow-up: Patch of white heads below knee cap. Wear a patellar stabilizing brace for football. What could it be? 4 minutes later
They dont itch, but there is a white head on the middle of my knee yet I think it is unrelated. I have a benza-clin script if that will work.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the photograph.
Yes it is folliculitis.
Dont worry it is a mild thing.
Yes you can apply benza-clin. It is a combination of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin.
This combination has good anti bacterial effect.
You will recover within a week.

Apply the cream twice daily.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you

Follow-up: Patch of white heads below knee cap. Wear a patellar stabilizing brace for football. What could it be? 3 minutes later
Ok, this is definately caused from a new knee brace Ih ave been wearing for the past week. What should I do about the brace, and how can I prevent it from happening again. Thank you for the quick response.

Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
You can apply a cushion inside the brace also apply a talcum powder and then wear brace.
This will reduce the friction and also absorb moisture, preventing further bacterial infection.
Feel free to ask any other doubt.
Thank you