Ask a Urologist   »  

Past experience with lady doctors, more caring, attentive, genito-urinary exams by male nurses. Okay to have lady as primary care physician for male patient ?

Question
Question for a lady doctorI am 66 year- old man. Past experiences with lady doctors, nurses and nurse/practitioners has been very helpful. Ladies are more caring and attentive, I think, and more intuitive. They are, I would hope, less likely than men to improperly pigeon-hole a patient, based on inaccurate assumptions.

QUESTION: Is it likely to be acceptable and feasible to have a lady as my primary care physician, on the understanding that genito-urinary exams and treatments be done by a man?

It is too sensitive an area given my makeup. My ideal physician would be a lady veterinarian, who can diagnose even poor communicators.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Follow-up: Past experience with lady doctors, more caring, attentive, genito-urinary exams by male nurses. Okay to have lady as primary care physician for male patient ? 5 hours later
OK, if no lady doctor responds, a male physsician could probably answer

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

You can opt for primary care physician to be a lady doctor. It is very true that females are more sensitive, emotional and thus have better perception in the patients who are not able to communicate well.

You can choose a lady specialist in general medicine for your primary care. But if you are looking for genitourinary concerns, opt for an urologist who are experts in this field irrespective of gender.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.

Follow-up: Past experience with lady doctors, more caring, attentive, genito-urinary exams by male nurses. Okay to have lady as primary care physician for male patient ? 1 hour later
Thanks, Doctor. I will do that. I am really grateful. I will simply tell her on first appointment.
P

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thank you for using our Service,

We feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rakhi