Passing white vaginal discharge, itchy rashes on vagina. Taking metronidazole. Tested negative for STD

For the past couple of months after my monthly cycle I have experienced extreme burning and itching in my vaginal area. The first time I had a severe thin white discharge with an odor. After a couple of days a small bump appears and itches and burns like crazy on the outside of the vagina wall. It does not leak or turn into a blister(was really worried about herpes) but its always only on one side. I havent had sexual intercourse in over a year and my doctor treated me for BV for two months straight on 500 mg of Metronidazole. The problem continues to return. I have been tested for STD's and they keep saying negative. Should I request a Hereps test and could it lay dormant that long?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

From your description, the itchy vaginal rash seems more lilely to be related to contact dermatitis associated with vaginal infection. A vaginal swab culture is the best way to find out the causative organism and detect the antibiotic best for the treatment.

The lesion that you have is not likely to be related to herpes as it is not likely to stay dormant for so long. Also, in such a case the lesions are painful and are associated with general symptoms like fever, headache, malaise, etc.

It is also important to keep your private parts scrupulously clean. Trimming your pubic hair, not using any soap to wash your vagina and keeping the area clean and dry will help.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.