Passing white tissue clot from vagina. What is causing this?

I have a white tissue clot come from my vagina. what is the cause?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later

If possible, could you procure some formalin solution from a chemist and immediately preserve the tissue, so it could be sent for a biopsy?

That would yield the most accurate diagnosis.

Otherwise, I can list a variety of differentials for you.

First, if you have irregular / delayed cycles, you could be suffering from polycystic ovaries, and in this situation, sometimes due to delayed cycles, uterine lining is overgrown and when it sheds off, it appears as a white tissue.

The other possibility, it could be an early pregnancy, which you miscarried and the clot expelled was the fleshy fetal tissue.

Thirdly, you might have endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the lining of the uterus ), an in this condition, you would have prolonged post menstrual spotting and then shedding off of the tissue in clots like this.

An endometrial polyp could shed off this way too.

Other causes of such tissue with clot are cervical lesions, endometriosis etc, but these normally don't lead to clots like this.

A very rare possibility is ectopic pregnancy- pregnancy outside the uterus, wherein, a decidual cast like this might be shed off.

Certain hormonal medications or pills you might have taken could lead to overgrowth of uterine lining and hence such bleeding and clot.

The only way to know is to consult a Gynecologist as early as you can, meanwhile preserve the clot if possible, and have it biopsied.

Hope, this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.