Passing white kidney bean like lumps in stool. What could this be?

Question
I AM PASSING WHITE "KIDNEY BEAN LIKE" LUMPS IN MY STOOLS. WHAT COULD THIS BE ?
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 3 hours later

I would need a little more information to give you a first opinion.

Please tell me if you had any other digestive symptoms in the same time, like cramping, nausea, diarrhea or vomiting.

Also you have written in your medical history diabetes type 2. Do you take Metformin for that and if yes, since when have you started to take Metformin?

Last question for now: did you drink milk in the same day or the day before noticing white "kidney bean like" lumps in your stools.

I am looking forward to your answers.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Passing white kidney bean like lumps in stool. What could this be? 14 hours later
Good morning , to answer your questions :

1) I have an endoscopy scheduled for next week as I have acute indigestion ( reflux maybe) No other digestive issues.
2) I take 2 x 80mg of Metformin per day & have done for about 20 months now.
3) I do not drink milk. I have noticed these soft "globules" for a few months now.

XXXXXX

Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

It is common for some of the Metformin pills to be incompletely dissolved and to end up in your stool (well-known potential problem). Therefore, you may notice undissolved parts of Metformin Tablets in your stool, as "white kidney bean like lumps". This is normal and not a cause of any kind of concern.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD