Passing small yellow ball that looks like a large corn kernal. Which specialist should I consult?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Just passed small yellow ball that looks like a large corn kernal. It stood out from the rest of the stool so I fished it out. I presume that it is yellow because of bile (I have no gall bladder) but no-one can tell me what it is. My doctor that can diagnose it and then give me a reasonable explanation of what it is?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 10 hours later
Dear XXXXXX

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

It is very difficult to say what this yellow ball like thing would be. It can be either be some undigested food substance or drug (tablet / capsule). It probably has nothing to do with bile. Since it has only happened once, I dont think it is a matter of much concern.

If you have fished it out and have preserved it with you, then you can contact a pathologist, who can examine this under microscope and tell what exactly it is.

Hope my suggestion helps you.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Passing small yellow ball that looks like a large corn kernal. Which specialist should I consult? 12 hours later
Thanks. I suspect that it is the remains of a round gelatine coated tablet (originally white) that I took to soften my stool and induce some gut contractions. The medicine worked so I guess that it must have seeped out through microscopic pores in the capsule skin, leaving it unbroken. It was a "once off" medicine which would explain the "once off" sighting. I think the bile was involved in staining it yellow. :-)

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 20 hours later
Dear XXXXXX

Nice to hear from you again.

I think you are right. You have solved the problem yourself.

Best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Singal