Passing lot of gas. Putting lot of pressure for motions. Worried?

Feb 2013

My baby is one month and 4 days old. He is feeding well and everything is fine except for one problem.
He passes alot of gas in a day as well as during the motion he seems like putting alot of pressure, he becomes red and also cry a little (sometimes more).
Although the motion happens normal number of times and is liquid (light yellow in color) he seems to be in a discomfort while doing motion. I dont know if its related but past week his sleep has also reduced because of the milk coming back to his mouth (where he feels like puking, but takes it back inside). We make sure we keep him upright for 15-20 minutes after every feed.
Please advise as i am really worried.

Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Burping, gentle tummy massage, neopeptine drops.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Passing gas (flatulence) is common in kids around this age at the time of passing stool and at rest also. It is a benign problem which settles down with increasing age.

Excessive formation of gas and its passage causes distress and discomfort to the child and some times colic with crying.

Gas problems decreases usually by 2-3 months of age.

There are oral drops like simethicone or Neopeptine drops available which can be given to infant to decrease excessive gas formation thus decreasing the distress caused by flatulence.

Infants while passing stool, make sounds like straining and they are normal.

Milk coming back to his mouth is due to gastro esophageal reflux (GER) which occurs due to lax lower esophagus sphincter.

I suggest you the following advise:

1. After each breast feed, burping has to be done by holding the child in upright position on mother shoulder and taping his back gently till he expels the gas. This action makes him comfortable by decreasing gas formation and reflux.

2. If he is puking frequently, give small quantity feeds frequently to accommodate the milk in his small tummy.

3. Do gentle baby massage by applying light pressure on baby tummy. This action will sooth baby tummy and helps to release gas.

4. Drops like simethicone or Neopeptine drops can be given orally to decrease the gas production in tummy.

5. Proper latching of nipple and areola during breast feeding which in turn leads to prevention of air swallowing.

And the problems of excessive gas, colic, and reflux are benign and self limiting in most kids and usually decrease by 3 months age.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.