Ask a Urologist   »  

Passing foamy urine. No swelling, blood pressure or tiredness. What could be the reason?

Geriatrics Specialist
whenever I pass urine it will be foamy. but , i dont have any symptoms of swelling, blood pressure, blood sugar, tiredness. what could be the reason and what is the remedy
During Sept.2011, I was diaognised for kidney infection and my criatinine level was 1.6.
Since then, I did not have any problem. for the past 15 days the above said problem is observed. I got my blodd and urine tested and the doctor said there are no problems. The only point to be noted is that my triglycerine and lower colestrol level is little high.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,

As you already consulted a primary care physician and ruled out most of the causes. The remaining changes of getting foamy urine are highlighted below.

1 Foamy urine might be a cause of increased protein in the urine, as you already mentioned you were diagnosed with some kidney infection earlier and slightly results in excessive protein loss, resulting in foamy/smoky urine. The recording of 24 hour urine protein is a specific test to rule out the protein loss in urine, try to do that too if it is possible.

2 To rule out the other possibility of crystalluria (also produces foamy urine), do a urine microscopy to see for any cholesterol crystals.

Let me know if you have further questions,
Take care of your health.