Passing blood in urine. Had normal CAT Scan and normal urine test. Cause?

I'am a 64 year old male in good health. Have been passing blood in my urine since Thursday. Had this problem last year and my family Doctor referred me for a C.A.T. scan which showed nothing. Then as a follow-up he sent me to a urologist and he checked me with a scope and found nothing. Should I be concerned if this continues.

Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thank you for sending in your query.

Presence of blood in urine is always abnormal and should be investigated further to determine the cause.

At your age the common causes can be infections of the urinary tract, primary diseases of the kidney like IgA Nephropathy or problem in the urinary tract like a stone or a cancer.

So I suggest that you see your family doctor and get your self investigated to determine the cause.

I would start off by doing a urine analysis. If this shows Red blood cells along with proteins I will suspect a kidney disease like IgA Nephropathy. If it shows pus cells it might indicate UTI.

If only RBCs are seen then I would recommend a repeat CAT scan to look at kidneys, ureter , bladder and prostate for any stone, abnormal growth or a cancer.

Based on the results of the above tests we could chart out further course of action.

I hope this was helpful.
Feel free to contact me if you have further concerns.

Regards and best wishes.
Aditya Bhabhe