Passing blood in stool. Should I consult a doctor?

Jan 2013

I'm 20/F, and I have had slightly bloody stools for a few years. I just passed a reddish brown sting, maybe 3-5 inches long. I have had what appears to be a hemmorhoid for around the same time. Even if the bowel movement is not painful, I usually have some sign of blood. What could this mean? Should I see a doctor?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 22 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with bloody stools.
Do you have recurrent diarrhea/ fever/ spasm in abdomen/ weight loss/ not gaining weight?
Do you have pain while passing stools?
Are you suffering from persistent constipation?

Bleeding per rectum on stools is an alarming sign and it should not be taken lightly.
With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of hemorrhoids or anal fissure (if something coming out during defecation and pain present at anal site).
Painless passage of blood rectum may be a sign of inflammatory bowel disease/ colon ulcers/ infectious pathology i.e. amoebic ulcers/ tubercular colonic ulcers.
make sure the colour of passed blood; whether black or red.
Black color blood is sign of upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding and have different causes.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ general surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
Local per rectum examination rules out possibility of anal pathology.
If anal pathology is present then treatment differs whether hemorrhoids or anal fissure is present.

If anal pathology is not present and red colored blood is passed out, then you should go for colonoscopy to rule out possibility of colonic ulcers/ inflammatory bowel disease.

If colonoscopy is found to be normal and black color stool was passed then you should go for endoscopy of upper gastrointestinal tract.

You should also go for complete hemogram, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and bleeding and clotting time.
There is least chances of dietary anemia (as you have mentioned), there is continuous leakage of blood from disease site.
Cause must be evaluated to correct the anemia.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other queries.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava