Passed red blood while urinating. Has constipation. Advise medication

Hello Doctor, My husband just passed a lots of red blood(the whole toilet bowl and tissue paper was red) while pooping. I am worried and wondering what can be the cause? he says he has constipation for two weeks now. Please suggest what has to be done now.Is there any medications? we live in canada. d. Thanks for your help
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 35 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
If this is red blood or dark red blood, it could be evidence of gastrointestinal tract hemorrage. It could be interesting to know if he has a history of gastritis or hemorroids.
Peptic ulcer disease (gastritis) is an urgent issue now to be evaluated and excluded. I suggest you give him an antacid available to chew or drink in large quantities (Alluminium Hydroxide tablets, Magnesium hydroxide tablets, or Topaal syrup or Maalox syrup in abundant quantities). He should take some ice or very cold water through the mouth. Then take him to the emergency room for an evaluation of his vital signs for early identification and management of severe concealed acute blood loss if any.
This in nay case of a sign of gastrointestinal tract bleeding, either upper or lower.
Take the measures proposed and rush him to the emergency room. Stop any Ibuprofen, Aspirin) in case he is taking any and give him what I just prescribed as you await to XXXXXXX the emergency physician.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Passed red blood while urinating. Has constipation. Advise medication 26 minutes later
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the advise, I will make him eat your prescribed medication right away and will follow up tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 13 minutes later
Ok thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.