Passed out, headaches, sharp pain through the body. Recommended sleep test. Am I just dehydrated?

25 Year Old Guy. 6 months ago I blacked out at work, it was very hot in the wearhouse that I work at, 100 + temp. I never passed out, I faught it. That was a Friday, that Sunday I went to the ER, and they couldn't find out what was wrong with me. I went in for an headache and sharp pain. At one point I was sitting on my cough, and I had sharp/tingling pain shot through my body, starting in my chect, and shot through to all my limbs. I have been back and forth to the ER and Doctor office. I still don't feel 100% better. Come to find out I have HBP, which does run in the family. But, I am still having headaches and pain all the time. Only time I feel better is after i get in IV of fluids. The first ER visit I was pain free for 2 days, then the headache and pain comes back. I have had MRIs and CT scans and still nothing. I was on a heart monitor for little over a month, and nothing. They know my heart beats in a very weird pattern while asleep. But, they havn't done anything to help that. Went to a Neuro Doctor last week, and he says that the neurves seem fine, but, stated that the heart rate during the sleep, and my off the wall sleeping pattern, could have some to do with my HBP and my headaches. I am scheduled for a sleep test on the first. Today I had a CT/A Scan, the injection of fluid with XXXXXXX has made me feel great, and this has lasted 12 hours, pain is slowy coming back. So, what I'm thinking now. Could I be behydrated? If the only thing that helps me is a bag of fluids.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 49 minutes later
If you are working at a temperature of 100 degrees and are not properly hydrated, then it is possible that dehydration could be contributing to your headaches.
I advise you to check for headaches on days that you don't go for work or during your vacations.
One crude method of measuring dehydration is by measuring serum creatinine. Serum creatinine tends to go up because of dehydration.
You other differential diagnosis are
1. Migraine- This is a good possibility in your case.
2. Electrolyte disturbance because of your constant sweating and work in high degree temperatures
3. Uncontrolled blood pressure
4. Space occupying lesion in the brain which your physicians have done MRI and rules out
5. Irregular sleeping habits which is being worked up currently.

You can also use some of these tips

1.     Use an electrolyte XXXXXXX once a day to rehydrate yourself with one little of water.
2.     Consume atleast 4 litres of water in a day.
3.     Avoid direct sunlight
4.     Sleep in a dark silent room atleast for 6 straight hours
5.     Do not watch TV in the same room you’re sleeping in.
6.     Avoid caffeinated drinks just before you sleep.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further follow up queries.
I wish you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Passed out, headaches, sharp pain through the body. Recommended sleep test. Am I just dehydrated? 10 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I drink 10-20oz water bottles a day. I don't sweat like I used to.
For checking to see if I am dehydrated, what doctor should I go see. (I have been to too many doctors in the past 6 months that it's eatting my check book.) Or can any doctor help with this.
Is it ok for someone to possibly be "dehydrated" for this long? Any long term effects?
I can say after my test last night, with that small bag of fluids, I woke up feeling great this morning. That is really the only reason why I think it's dehydration.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for reverting.

No, it is not possible to stay dehydrated this long.
For your current solution, I think the best doctor to approach would be a physician.

Dehydration on long term basis can have adverse effects on kidneys.

You have mentioned that you feel great after the IV fluids that is why I suggested you to use the electrolyte XXXXXXX which will have the same effect as the IV fluid.

I would also recommend you XXXXXXX a neurologist and start treatment for migraine. There are certain drugs like Sumatriptan which can prevent these. There is no harm giving this a try.

I hope, I was of help, please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish you a speedy recovery.