Passed motion once in 3 to 4 days. Taking Lactifiber powder. How long to take Lactifiber powder?

Gastroenterologist
Question
How long can I take Lactifiber power. After taking 15 grams of the powder daily, I noticed that I passed motion once in 3 to 4 days. I have been taking the powder for 8 days now....Should I continue? I was asked to take the powder after constipation left me with an anal fissure..From childhood, I have been passing motion infrequently...of late it has been once in 7 to 10 days except after I started Lactifiber powder and it became once in 4 days
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue taking lactifiber.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Continue taking lactifiber till you get normal bowel movements everyday. Once you start having good bowel movements everyday, you can stop it.
Along with lactifiber, take high fiber diet and drink lot of fluids.

Check you blood glucose levels and get a thyroid function test done.
If you are on any other medications like a cough syrup which can cause constipation, stop it.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Passed motion once in 3 to 4 days. Taking Lactifiber powder. How long to take Lactifiber powder? 44 minutes later
Doctor, thanks for your advice. I would like to know what kind of foods do you suggest to increase fiber intake? Some foods which are easily available in kerala.
One more thing, I can continue with the same dose of 15 grams daily, right?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can continue with the same dose

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you can continue with the same dose.

Regarding the fiber XXXXXXX diet, you can take the following - oats, whole wheat , ragi, barley, greens, beans, peas, lentils and fruits like banana.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini