Passed kidney stone recently, episode of diarrhea, had white bowel movement. Alarming?

I passed a small kidney stone about three weeks ago. Lab tests indicated it was "mainly calcium oxalate monohydrate". I have a very high protein diet and don't hydrate well so my doctor concluded and change in this regard could solve the issue. As a precaution, however, we booked a renal ultrasound for three days from today. Last Monday I ate what I believe was some bad chicken and exhibited signs of mild food poisoning - mild fever, severe diarrhea (no blood), and fatigue. The diarrhea ended in less than 24 hours. Have been eating bananas, rice, and yogurt since. Had my first solid bowel movement this morning and it was "white". Should I contact my doctor urgently, assume the already scheduled renal ultrasound will discover any issue like a possible bile duct obstruction, or is this normal after food poisoning and severe diarrhea and Ishould just wit to see if my stools return to a normal color?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 1 hour later

The colour and consistency of stool depend on the type of food consumed. I don't think you need to rush for the appointment with the doctor.

There is a possibility of bile duct obstruction by the history of white stools; but there has to be other associated symptoms like itching or jaundice or weakness. Therefore I do not foresee ay reasons to be concerned.

If there are no associated symptoms I think you can wait and see whether your stools return to normal color. Any ways you are having an ultrasound for the renal stones in 3 days right.

Don't worry, take care.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani