Passed away due to septic infection. What could the infection be?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi - My name is XXXXXXX XXXX- my husband Ray passed away on Oct. 27th. He was septic and Drs. told me had the the worst infection he could possibly have. I cannot remember the name of the infection but believe it started with Su?????/. ould you help me - I realize I did not give a lot of info.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Septicemia Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXXXXX Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. Please accept my heart felt condolences. I have gone through your query and would like to elaborate on the common pathogens which can cause septicemia. Septicemia is defined as bacteremia or infection in blood by bacteria. This infection is common in diabetics, in cancer patients, in elderly and hospitalized patients. This infection is caused by drug resistant organisms and has to be treated as soon as possible. Unfortunately death rate in such infections is very high. Most common organisms causing septicemia are listed below: 1. Staphylococcus 2. Streptococcus 3. Klebsiella 4. Pseudomonas (In this spelling, "p" is silent. This is pronounced as "Sudomonas" This is the worst infection as this organism is not killed easily and is associated with high death rate) It would be great if you could upload the reports of tests done on your husband on the link provided so that I can explain better. I hope I have helped you with this answer. Please get back if any more queries. Thanks.