Passed a kidney stone. Having soreness and pain on belly button. What is causing this?

Jul 2016

hello, 4-5 days ago i passed a kidney stone on the left side. Since then I have had intermittent soreness (nothing like the actually passing) just some 'twinges' here and there. today I'm having some soreness/slight pain (2 from 1-10) about 3 inches to the left of my belly button and it's pretty persistant now for several hours. for the first few days I drank a lot of water but noticed today I haven't drank as much. could this be my urethraI being sore from passing the stone or something else? It doesn't feel like the same pain but I'm a little paranoid since that was my first stone. the stone wasn't very big but it had a bad 'horn' connected to it. any advice would be much appreciated.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 51 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have recently passed stone through Urethra and getting soreness in urethra.

As the stone was spiky it has caused bruising injury to your urethra and that is the reason behind you getting soreness in urethra.

As regards pain in abdomen on left side it is likely that the stone was in Left kidney and the pain in left side of abdomen is due to hydronephrosis( Back pressure effect of stone) on left side.This will take a week or two to subside.

Please do not worry all, your problem will get resolved in a week.

Ensure to take more water and pain killer like Brufen for 5 days.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Passed a kidney stone. Having soreness and pain on belly button. What is causing this? 3 hours later
Thanks you for the information. Thats very comforting. I do have a follow up question. A little over a year ago they found a 'simple' cyst on my left kidney. Prior to this kidney stone episode I've never had any issues so i was wondering if simple cysts can generate or cause a kidney to start making stones. I am scheduled to have a renal scan in a few weeks. thanks.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 minutes later
Thanks for follow up. Simple cyst in the kidney is always congenital in origin and never leads to stone formation.

The formation of stone is not uncommon and is due to so many reasons ranging from deranged body metabolism to UTI.

Therefore, do not worry. Ensure to take more water to keep your urine dilute and free from infection, which is the commonest cause for stone formation.

Thanks and Regards.
Follow-up: Passed a kidney stone. Having soreness and pain on belly button. What is causing this? 33 minutes later
thanks good to know. one last question about the cyst. It was originally discovered during an ultrasound for something else. and initially the dr looked at the ultrasound image and the cyst did look like it could possible have some septations (not sure if i spelled that right) so he ordered a CT scan with and without contrast. when he got that back he said I was all clear and that it was indeed a simple cyst. it's been about 1yr and a half since my last scan. is there a chance the simple cyst could turn into more complex? thats my last question. thx.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Simple cysts in the kidney are treated as an accidental finding and are not significant at all.

There is very remote possibility of the cyst getting infected.

Do not worry as long as you do not any problem due to cyst itself.

If you have time and are satisfied with my answer, please post your review on this forum.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr. Patil